Irresolute


I have a small chest of drawers by my computer that I use to hold drawings and pencils.  It is a nice piece of furniture of no particular value but it is well made and most useful.  Yesterday, my almost a cat now Chess and my mighty hunter cat Precious spent hours staring at the bottom of it, they certainly had something cornered underneath it.  Last night I moved it to see what they had pinned down, I found nothing.  A few minutes later there was a ruckus and Precious had chased a large rat over to the door, he was terrified and I ran over and shooed her away.  I was wearing the world's best foot armor, my Wesco engineer boots, and I had the poor little thing at my mercy.  Rats are unacceptable and I had seen this guy before, he has been in the back yard and presumably was searching for shelter.  As I looked down at him he looked at me and I swear he was beseeching me to save him.  He was sleek and handsome, I was overwhelmed with pity.  I opened the door and pushed him out into the garage with my foot.  Great.  Now what do I do?  Oh, well, violently killing an animal that needed help is not a great way to start the Christmas season.  There is already poison in the garage, if he stays he dies.  But I was not going to murder a helpless animal no matter how much potential trouble they might become.   Chess and Precious now know I'm weak and may make their move soon. 
Sometimes empathy is counter productive.

Cat illustration by Steve Davis.

https://www.instagram.com/sdavis.howdy/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin