Pauline And The Matches

 


 

 

Hi Guys!

I didn't think it was possible, but I found I found a nineteenth-century children's book author who's as nasty as Dame Dingle!  You might recall that I've posted several of DD's stories right here on Hybrid!  If you want to refresh your memory, just enter "Dame Dingle" in the handy Hybrid search box

Anyhow, today's offering is Pauline and the Matches, by Aunt Grumble!   This is another McLoughlin Brothers classic from right around 1870 or so.  The idea is to teach kids not to mess with matches, but you can tell that Aunt Grumble is loving how this story turns out!

Hey, hold on, you might ask -- what's anthro about this poo-poo?  Well, I'll tell you!  See, there's these kittens that act kinda like a Greek Chorus.  That means they just kind of show up and point out what the main character is doing wrong!  Check it out and you'll see what I mean!

 


 






Man, that's tough!  But Aunt Grumble knows that Pauline had it coming to her and that kids everywhere need to be scared straight when it comes to matches!  I feel kinda bad for her cats, but the illustration makes it look like they are eating what's left of Pauline.  That's what I would expect from a cat...  and from Aunt Grumble, too!

OK guys, I'll see you next time!  Until then, play safe!


 
 
I'm gonna collect them all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin