I'm Going Back To Austin (Rockport Blues Song)

Singing The Salt Air Dead Fish Living Grave Retirement Home Blues

Well, I'm going back to Austin, I got no friends down here.

I'm going back to Austin, The salt air ruins my beer.

If I had my druthers, I never would have gone.

So I'm going home to Austin and I'm gonna tie one on!

Now living here beside the bay is pretty awful strange.

These rich folk make me feel real poor, in the streets the deer do range.

Half the view is water, the other half is sand

What radio stations I can get are best described as 'bland'.


Everyone in Austin carries a guitar.

From the bearded bum in traffic, to the guy behind the bar.

Everyone in Austin can always find good weed,

Why, the kids outside of any school will get you all you need.

So I'm headed back to Austin, I most devoutly wish.

Here the guys just stare at me 'cause I don't like to fish.

Oh dear old Travis County, I never thought I'd say,

That Colorado River would look so good today.

Yep, I'm going home to Austin, the town where I was born.

I'm leaving on the morrow, I'll drive by way of Zorn.*

I'll be in such a hurry I will start before the morn,

And all those possums in the road will never hear my horn!

*(Zorn is a town in between here and Austin. It is not the Lapine word from Watership Down which means "desolation". I regard Rockport as totally zorn if you can dig that).

Bugs with guitar from 8 Ball Bunny, d.Chuck Jones. 1950, Warner Bros.

Watch out, Willie, there's a new kid in town!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Sides Of The Same Coin

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?