The Illiad, Illustrated By The Provensens






In 1965, my mother took me to a bookstore on Belt Line Road in Richardson, Texas, and let me pick out any book I wanted.  This is the one I chose.  On the way out of the store, trembling with excitement, I dropped it and damaged the upper corner of the spine.  I am looking at it while I type this.  This was, and is, the most exciting book I have ever read and I fear it put the zap on a young boy's head.  I was already into movies and books about ancient warfare.  Never too young to get fired up about hot armor and cool weapons!



Paris and Menelaus square off.  Alice and Martin Provensen.  Alice still lives, and the two will always live thanks to this sort of work.  I used to think of this picture when I was a young Marine Infantryman.  I think of it now as an artist.




Achilles and Hector.  I was always bothered by the long blond hair.  But hey, the War was raging and we did not do hippies in Dallas!





My introduction to the childish Greek gods.  Boy oh boy did I relate to this!





Gods upon the earth.






Polyphemus.





Circe.




Theseus.  Don't forget to change sails, sweetie!





Hector at the ships.




You want to fuck my wife, punk?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin