Willy Murphy, Ted Richards, And Soon Some More!









When I was a teen, and had started enthusiastically reading undergrounds, this guy was one of my favorites.  His take on San Fran wierdos is dead on even today.  He died of pneumonia at the age of 39.  He still comes across as fresh and cutting edge today.  It is a source of endless amazement to me, particularly based on my own reception in the furry world, how much better cartoon line art is than CAD drawing.  By better I mean the ability to convey idea and humor through art.  Think of Gary Larsen and Julie Doucet, and now think of how often you have seen or remembered some of those outstanding computer aided stuff that you cannot remember the names of the artists.  This is not a defense of my own limited abilities but a reminder to some that all, say again, all the top comics and strips are hand drawn line art.




I was sixteen when this was new and not even smoking weed.  I think I first saw Arnold Peck, Willy's alter ego, here.  Robert Crumb had already contributed to my burgeoning disaffection with modern life and things like this finished off any chance of a normally adjusted individual.  That and sex.  Oh, yeah, and then there is Ted Richards-




I bought this one when I was Marine Infantry.





Fuck yes, I liked this.  I just love this artist!



After Vietnam and with the all volunteer army, they did not test our eyes but counted them.  
I regarded "Dog Soldiers" as serious military advice and read the book on the flight to boot camp, August, 1978.
More to come, believe you me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin