Tank Girl



   Written by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin, originally drawn by Hewlett, this is a wildly punk vision of post apocalypse Australia, with a bad attitude.  Not that great a movie, I mean, water is more valuable than gold and TG drinks beer all the way through it!  Good Malcolm McDowell action as per usual.  I have never read one of these but I love the art and general approach.  This picture is by the redoubtable Brian Bolland.





Rejected artwork. James Harvey. I think this is just smashing!




TG and Booga, her mutant kangaroo boyfriend. 




Dear me!




You get the idea.  Hewlett went on to make "Gorillaz" which I heard of through the French site Vos Dessins while I was ever so briefly a member.




Rebbecca Buck




This is the M5A1 Stuart tank used in the movie.  The Japs and Germans ran out of ammo before we ran out of tanks.




An M3 Stuart.  A good light tank, we built some 22,300 during the war.  The first armored fight the U. S. was in was Operation Crusader in North Africa, Stuarts were equivalent in armor and range to the Panzer III Ausf. G.  I didn't know that.   They worked well in the Pacific against the Japanese tanks, light by our definition.  Oh, look here, some of the Stuarts had 5 .30 Brownings, later reduced to three.  Stuarts were most widely used as recon vehicles.
There are still 10 on operational service in Paraguay for training purposes.




Tank Girl #1.  I need to read these.




Brett Parson.




Up the Furry Road.




Tank Girl bores me.  Booga, now that's a character!  
(This is an Anthro site, you know).




The art was awful starting out.  This gives hope to us all.




Jamie Hewlett.




Tank Girl was first published in 1988.  The ladies started calling lesbian get-togethers Tank Girl nights.  Women find TG empowering, a term girls use for things that other girls do in fiction or on the screen that make the audience think they can do also without ever having to do so.  Like 'sustainable', the expression is used without explanation or specific meaning.




Witty.




The movie sucked, and even Malcolm McDowell couldn't save it.  Too bad, it had everything it needed but focus and direction.




But the mutant kangaroo Rippers were awesome!




Superior artwork, finally!




What a good idea this was.  But why take my word for it?


Button up and start reading.  After all,




...nothing like a good book.



Comments

  1. The movie was indeed bad, but the comics are pretty good. There's a kind of '90s nihilist-dada vibe about the series that is entertaining, but I wouldn't want to read more than the first four issues or so. Booga starts off well as an anthro character, but he grows progressively more distorted and humanoid as the story goes on. For an alternate take on anthro kangaroos and post-apocalyptic Australia, I recommend Timothy Truman and Stephen Sullivan's obscure "Newstralia," published by Innovation in the late '80s. It's a cheesy homage to Mad Max as only the 80s could do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, let's see if I can find that. Mad Max 2 was seriously good, or the Road Warrior as it was known here. The first one was good but the 2cnd one great. I still think Wez was everything a guy should look like, course I was still in the Corps at the time so I may have been vulnerable to such a debonair performance. I get the best leads from you. I missed out on TG and Judge Dredd and all those good things what with being married and all neurotic and such.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin