Eisner







Will Eisner still stuns, inspires, and amazes after all this time.  The bulk of his greatest work was in the forties.  The above is from the Spirit, possibly the most innovative comic strip of all time.





These were re-printed in the seventies, which I why I know about how good he was.  I have this one.  He  was stunningly cinematic and could sum up a story with a few deft lines.  






I should not have said that about the bulk of his work in the forties.  He was great his entire and very prolific life.  It was his work on the Spirit in the forties that got him known.





I guess it is obvious why I like him so much.





Long before "The French Connection".  (note-some of these he drew in the seventies for the re-print collections.  So what)?





Innovation is not the word for it.  I always wanted to look like Denny Colt, if I couldn't look like Jack Dempsey or Fred MacMurray.  Speaking of which-





These two were never seen together!  Makes ya think, don't it?




But back to Will.  Every Sunday the papers had a full comic, the Spirit section.  Oh, yeah, and Eisner invented the form and name of the Graphic novel, unfortunately.  The word is comic no matter how long or expensive it is.




One of your more well known comic covers.  





You have to judge him by his times.  I am sure that in later life he must have cringed at some of this.





My god but he was original.





The first Graphic Novel.


Outstanding storyteller.





Improving masturbation for 80 years.






The Army had the intelligence to use his talent.  Normally they sent experts in their field to the infantry.






 Where does a comic leave off and fine art begin?  They are the same!





William Erwin Eisner.  1917-2005.  When we lost Moebius that was the triple play for me.  Eisner, Jack Kirby, Giraud. 

Au revoir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin