Frank Frazetta





When I was growing up I thought this guy was the tops, and I guess I still do.  Frank Frazetta was the last of the great pulp illustrators, although in my day that meant fantasy book covers.





Not quite the last, I forgot this guy.  James Bama, and more on him later.  He is still around and working.  Here is one of his insidiously captivating bring it to life for the young boy pictures-





Model to painting to book cover.  That is Steve Holland on the left, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Holland_(actor) .  Now back to Frazetta.






He was one of the few artists that looked like the men he painted.  For example-





We will ignore the next to useless morning star as a close combat weapon, what a great painting!





But this is the stuff everyone bought the books for.





My, my.






He started in comics but made his name in book covers.







Rogue Roman.  This picture has it all.






The Death Dealer, probably his best known work.  When American Artist put this on their cover, they doubled their sales.  Not everyone goes nuts over flowers and barns.





Vampirella.






Combat. These are French soldiers.  I had this on the inside of my wall locker all the way through my Marine enlistment.






Man, could he do action!





Conan and the Snow Giants.  I still have my copy.







Really, really, well done.





Movie Poster.




Two of my heroes.





Tiger.






My money is on the T Rex.








The word "dynamic" comes to mind.






I still think that if you got it, this is how to dress.  Either one of them.





Savage Pellucidar.  Yum, yum.





He liked to star in his own work.






 Frank Frazetta, 1928-2010.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin