My First Copies Of Someone Else's Artwork





A quick copy of Br'er Rabbit from a Disney comic illustrated by Carl Barks, according to the internet.  It was dated 1987 and I have never heard of Barks working outside the duck thing.  I guess I did not need to say that this was quick, did I?  It should have taken a few seconds.  It took 10 minutes at least, all these great cartoons characters are design masterpieces.  Genius can be deceptively simple.





Readers of this internet thing I got here know that I admire Bill Peet, who quit Disney over the way Walt planned on fucking up The Jungle Book, which Walt then proceeded to do.  The new version is outstanding with only two songs, both excellent. Now I read in IMDB that Kaa sings Trust In Me, which I don't remember, and I wish to remind everyone that Kaa is an ally of Mowgli and Baloo.   Kudos to them for the new Sher Khan.  I love Disney art and hate the movies, singing and dancing does not and has not advanced a storyline since Top Hat.  The last Disney film I went to see was Toy Story and what a good movie it was.  No singing or dancing, great story, Lee Ermey.  Fantastic animation.  Before that it was a re-release of Song of the South which sucked whenever a human hove into view.  Disney's Br'er Rabbit is my favorite animated artwork.  His best would be either Pinocchio or Bambi.  I haven't seen Bambi.  Both had Gustaf Tenggren working on them.  Oh, yeah, and Snow White.  His designs for Bambi were too complex but I think they kept some of the tree backgrounds.





Gustaf Tenggren, Snow White layout sketch.







Dan Gordon.  I just found out about him in the last couple of weeks.  He was the man behind Blunderbunny.






Dan Gordon was an outstanding comic book artist.  He got into animation in the '30s, drew all these wonderful talking animals comics 1940's to '50s, and then joined up with Hanna and Barbera  in 1957.  The rest is the story of my childhood summer vacation activities!










This looked so easy when I started.








Another copy of Brer Rabbit.  I love the way animators cut out all extraneous design from their characters.  The foreground head is an unsigned drawing in the notebook I bought in a thrift store.  I had not the heart to draw over it or throw it away.  Remember kids, better value your own work because it is a cinch no one else will!




The top rabbits are after, very incompetently, Frank Frazetta's youthful, incredible work.  But Frank was unique and I am not.





Frank.




Frank.  In his early twenties, he usually signed these "Fritz", as can be seen in the bottom right of this awesome panel.  Frank was a child prodigy and started paid comic work at the age of 16.  He was always employed after that and until he started doing his oil paintings, becoming rich and famous.  He was already good looking.  He was a very fortunate man who owed all his success to no one but himself.




Frank.



No can match!





More to come.  Much, much, much more to come!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin