Richard Corben



Here we shall see the very face of strange and disturbing, Ladies and Gentlemen, - Richard Corben!




I was a teenager when I first read "Den" in Heavy Metal.  I was shocked that a man of action could be naked, and then I found the idea intriguing.  Why not?  Sometimes he wore boots which are far more important than anything else.  I stared off liking Corben in Eerie magazine.  This was the first time I read a letter to the editor from a girl, who really liked Den, for obvious reasons.  Wow, a girl reading Sci/Fi!  I have never met such a creature, but there must be one out there.




I was in the Corps in '79 when I read this, also in Heavy Metal.  Poor Rowlf, so loyal and so poorly treated!  But a happy ending was had by all.  First time I ever saw Esperanto in print.  This just fed my anthro leanings.




Rowlf kicked ass.





I lived for this stuff.  I only have one left.  I have most of my comics so these must have been in the magazine pile and were treated accordingly.





It was a long time before I realized that this was airbrush.  Now how cool is that?





I always liked this.  Poignant, one might say.




This is a parody of Magnus, Robot Fighter, and boy is it cold blooded.  I read this in '77 at Texas Tech.  This is what I would do instead of studying.  Why bother?  I was going to be rich and famous and have great sex all day long!
 






Richard Corben, Slow Death.  1972
 



No one better.




Rat God, Hellboy.




Oh, Rat God didn't do it for you?  Here is the Crooked Man.  Sleep tight!




1956.  Hellboy In Mexico.  Man oh man can this guy draw.




Creepy Magazine.  Required bathroom reading, if I could lock the door.  Alright, alright!  I'll be out in a minute!




See what I mean?




Master of the arresting image.




See caption above.




The guy has worked for everybody!




I had never wanted to be nude, hairless and muscular in a bizarre alternate universe.  Then I read this.





Uh....I draw talking rabbits in pencil.  Pretty cool, huh?




Well, gentle reader, I leave you with this.  By now I think I have made my point, this is one badass artist.



 
Richard Corben, October 1, 1940 — December 2, 2020
 
Thank you for the hours and days of adventure.  You really helped make my youth that much better.  Rock on!


Comments

  1. Damn -- seventy is too freaking young. What's the next level after 'genius'? He was past that. You and I read the same awful magazines and followed the same revolting artists (like Bernie Wrightson). The art world lost another leader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing and inspiring smorgasbord of imagery by this most talented of illustrators!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin