Tony Sarg





Tony Sarg


So I am in my favorite thrift store today, buying a couple of geological survey maps of Aransas County et al, when I ran across these excellent anthro drawings on what turned out to be Nabisco trading cards, Tony Sarg's Animal Circus.  What the Fuck?, thinks I, and I go home and look this guy up.  Holy smokes, talk about forgotten!


As per usual, I will let Wikipedia do the honors and tell you guys about Tony.  But what an artist this guy was!





The very essence of fun.





At this time period illustration was at it's high water mark, and Sarg is no exception.





Incroyable.





Irvin Cobb.  They seem to have been friends.





Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. 





Sarg invented the tradition of the giant balloon critters in 1927.





well i'll be a typewriting cockroach





This is what I saw in the store today.  I just had to know more.  What an artist!





Felix, 1927, first ever Macy's balloon.  Tony is at the left.





Known for his puppets.  This photo is as we are to God.





Lilliput.





I just found out about Tony a couple of hours ago, and now I am so very sad that he is gone.  Our world was lessened by his death.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin