A VERY Brief History Of The Zombie Thing

You hear all kinds of nonsense about zombies.  Much of that is because of the spate of early 21st century movies and TV shows that were cheap to film and connected with most people's fantasies about shooting their unarmed, deceased, slow moving neighbors.  The book that kicked all of that off was I Am Legend, which is about vampires, some dead and others still living.  Just as movies shaped the vampire legends, so it has been for the undead. 
Zombies don't bite humans, or anything else, they're dead and only can move until complete decay shuts them down.  They don't mill around in herds, they have not lost their intelligence, and they are to be pitied.  It's not their fault after all.  Whatever bioweapon was employed, and by who is unknown, it released the Z factor out into the world and now here we are.  Like all bioweapons, the mortality rate is not one hundred percent.  Some people are struck down and some are not.  There is no test ever discovered that can predict or diagnose the disease until it takes hold, and that's the true horror of all this.  We watch each other very carefully, and so far we have been able to maintain some kind of organization and effectiveness. 
For the most part the afflicted will carry on with their lives, the disease seems to obliterate any awareness of the victim's condition from them.  It breaks my heart to have to wipe out a playground of rotting children at their fun, although we are spared their laughter because these people can't talk.  No one has thought of any way to do otherwise, each zombie is a walking vector and must be 'killed' and burned.  My team has racked up more kills than any other, and sometimes we are crying so hard as to ruin our aim.  But flamethrowers are pretty much a point and spray device so this has been of great help.
I guess that's all I have now, the guys are breaking down the door I wedged shut and will be here very soon.  My fingers have been falling off as I type, and my lower jaw dropped into my lap just a few minutes ago.  I would say send my love to mom except she was among the first group that we cremated.  Sounds like that door is about to give, good thing I can't feel anything anymore.
Damn, what I would do for a cigarette.

Photo from the YouTube video Catacombs Of The Dead In Palermo, Sicily.

https://youtu.be/9CwruorZR9w

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin