Yipes, Stripes!


I recently put up an essay on Jungle Comics by the very good artist Andrew the Bee.  While shaking out the envelope that it came in, I found this.  I am beyond honored to have such a thing drawn specially for little 'ole me, I really am.  And yes, Andy, I like this very much.


Billy is scared of snakes.


Very scared.


A narrow Fellow in the Grass
Occasionally rides-
You may have met him? Did you not
His notice instant is-

The Grass divides as with a Comb-
A spotted shaft is seen,
And then it closes at your Feet
And opens further on-

He likes a Boggy Acre-
A Floor too cool for Corn-
But when a Boy and Barefoot
I more than once at Noon

Have passed I thought a Whip Lash
Unbraiding in the Sun
When stooping to secure it
It wrinkled and was gone-

Several of Nature's People
I know and they know me
I feel for them a transport
Of Cordiality

But never met this Fellow
Attended or alone
Without a tighter Breathing
And Zero at the Bone.

Emily Dickinson, A Narrow Fellow In The Grass 
Published anonymously in the Springfield Daily Republican, Febuary 14, 1866


Beech-Nut Gum ad, 1962.
  Corporate America turned me furry.  Oh, and Chuck Jones didn't help a bit.


Not - A - Bit.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin