William Merritt Chase

Keying Up - The Court Jester, 1875 


End Of The Season, 1884


The Chase Homestead At Shinnecock, 1893


At The Seaside, 1892


My Baby Cosy, 1882


James Abbott MacNeill Whistler

Whistler was not amused—he called Chase’s painting a “monstrous lampoon” and broke off their friendship.  Contentious son of a bitch if there ever was one.


Fish, c. 1900


Jester Resting In A Chair, 1875

The model drank a decanter of hair tonic while Chase was out of the room.  Recently discovered, this was a warm up painting for The Court Jester.
 

 Arab Encampment, 1883


The Turkish Page - Unexpected Intrusion. 1876


William Merritt Chase by John Singer Sargent, 1902


Self Portrait, c. 1914

This was inspired by the writings of that outstanding artist and historian, Andibi.

Andibi's avatar

Comments

  1. Great post! I've run across Chase a lot over the years, but many of those paintings are new to me. That last self-portrait is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I've run across Chase a lot over the years, but many of those paintings are new to me. That last self-portrait is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think so. If I had more money I would try to look like that instead of the drunken jester. Or the fish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin