Uncle Wiggily Longears




Howard Roger Garis.  His Uncle Wiggily Longears appeared in 15,000 stories.  He was an extremely prolific writer and also wrote some of the Tom Swift books.


  

Drawn by George Carlson.  Can't do better than that!




Carlson again.




This was popular up to the 1970's.  Oops, that's what I get for relying on Wikipedia.  The game is still being sold.  100 years old.
Wow.




Art Seiden.




Uncle Wiggily and Zacharia, Mike Kaluta.
 
A favorite artist of mine since the early seventies.



(This was commissioned from the artist by Mike Blanchard for his son Zachariah.  What an awesome father)!




Dell gets into the act.  Art by Bill Weaver, maybe.  I hated Dell and Gold Key growing up.  Sure would like to have them all now.  But- I wouldn't read them.  Dell told the Comics Code people to go pound sand and never joined, they were the largest comic publishing house in the world in 1953, selling 26 million comics a month.  

 



And here is a good title to sign off with. After all, it was a paper vehicle all along.  Oh, all right, here's a couple of more.





Mel Crawford.  Maybe talking rabbits are not just for neurotic, depressed artists.



Two fisted action!



 
 I never read any of this while I was growing up.  Now I think it is interesting?  There are probably bars for people like me.   Art by Lansing Campbell.
 

Comments

  1. Love the range of talents and styles focused on this fun-loving rabbit! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just oodles of stuff out there that I did not know about, and with the net I have learned more in the last couple of years than I ever did before. Andibi's post on Uncle Wiggily was a complete surprise to me, I don't know how that kid comes up with some of the things he does. I grew up loving illustration, but I never saw an Uncle Wiggily book. I think illustration for children about the highest art form I could aspire to create. And, of course, you are welcome but your looking at anything I put up is all the thanks a guy could wish for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin