Dealing With Cute Anthro Cartoons



One of the problems with drawing in a cartoon style is there is no sex appeal there, no action, erotic elements, or overwhelming greed.  This limits the story, something that I don't worry about as I don't draw stories.  Kim Deitch made this work, but he is a genius and a great artist.



Waldo is up there with worst behaved comic character of them all, what with being a re-incarnated Judas Iscariot and a cartoon cat to boot.  Here he is shown as dead from an injection of heroin, although this may be a dream sequence. 


Mickey Rat by Robert Armstrong.  My first introduction to a worthless being as funny and a lifelong bad influence.  I could not recommend this more.


Speaking of lifelong bad influence, Robert Crumb introduced me to the world of adorable cartoon characters in the real world.  Great art, but I suspect him of being a "problem" child in his early years, at least judging from this.
It takes one to know one!


One more Waldo reference.  And yes, it was a dream sequence.  And now here is E.Z. Wolf-


E.Z. is not a reprobate but more of a counter culture, laid back hippie type, or back to the riverbank culture if you will.  I loved these as a teenager and I love them now.  These are by Ted Richards, who brought the world my military hero, Dopin' Dan.  
And thus another good kid is led down the garden path.  Oh, betrayed by my childhood heroes!


I remember when I bought this one.  Back then the weed we had would not count as a drug now but it sure made curling up with a comic instead of going to class not only de rigueur but positively a la mode!  I fear this has affected my work ethic.  Ha ha!  The joke's on you, I've never had a work ethic!


If I had a chance to do it all over again...

Comments

  1. I actually have that Hell to Pay issue of Waldo. It's a wake-up call for folks touching the bottom of life.

    Ted Richards was a favorite from the get-go. He quit drawing underground comics to take a job with Atari, then went on to found his own software and consulting firms.

    (* sigh *)

    Hey, I thought I'd just leave this for you here:
    https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/WikiFur:Gallery_(covers)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin