Tithonos

Today I was inventorying my brother and mine's comics when I came across this photo from about June, 1978.  Amazing what time does to us.  I joined the Corps less than two months after this picture, this is the last time I had long hair.  I am on my way to a prom, not mine, with a long forgotten date.  And dig that fucking tie!  I showed up at Boot Camp looking like this.  Words were used, unkind, hurtful, mean words.


 This must be the last suit I ever bought, after the Corps it is all anyone can do to get me into a sport jacket, ties are unacceptable except for funerals.  By that I mean if I was pallbearer for a very great person, and I am unlikely to ever be selected for such a job.  My tie days are over.


Mind you, this is before the prom.   I should have kept on with the guitar thing.  This kid would look great in a fringed leather vest with a Paisley balloon sleeved pirate shirt on an album cover, and a headband with peace symbol, of course.  I mean, what else is such a haircut for?  Grabbing - In - A - Fight, that's what.


  I don't smile much now. 


Seated Boy With Lyre, Johan Teodor Lundberg

Tithonos, a lyre player, found favour with Eos who obtained for him immortality.  However, she forgot to ask Zeus to give the boy eternal youth also.  As a result of this small but critical oversight, Tithonos grew old and eventually turned into a cricket.


As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods.

(Grim barbarian face a detail from Conan The Adventurer, Frank Frazetta. 1965).


This is how I saw myself as an adult.  The real world never cut any ice with me.


Ciao, baby.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin