Bienville Parish, 1986


       My grandmother lived in the tiny town of Castor, La.  The remains of her family's property, the Bogans, were down to 160 acres, all loblolly pines.  At one time the holding must have been huge, stretching back before the Civil War.  160 acres would do me just fine right now, I had an acre on the Colorado river outside of Austin and counted myself master of infinite space.  This photo was taken by my brother while we were out camping and shooting at beer cans and rotten trees.  This is me, Bob Kinsey, and Jimmy Canavan, all of us were from Plano and went to the same high school.  I am holding Bob's 30-30 and Bob and I are both carrying .357 Smiths.  Mine was brushed steel with a 6 inch barrel, I think this is the only time I ever fired that thing.  There was the crumbling remains of a log house on that land, someone stole those logs and probably got good money for them.  I remember there was a tiny creek that ran through the property, once I almost stepped on a fawn while walking through the underbrush, hard to say which one of us was more frightened.  On an earlier trip I brought a Wingmaster 12 gauge, it would vaporize the many rotten trees that were legion out there.  Bob is now a distinguished artist in California and Jimmy is a computer expert. misterscribbles.blogspot.com/2…   The shirt I am wearing here was 100% pure thin cotton and the best garment I have ever owned, long gone now.  Getting away from Dallas was just awesome.  We bought some melons and shot them up close with hollow points, I felt like John Wilkes Booth only sexier!  At night that place was the darkest I have ever camped out on, the trees grow right up to the road and most of it looks as it did when Frank Hamer killed Clyde Barrow and his delusional girlfriend a few miles away.  Here is the link to the Ron's Rockouts reference - misterscribbles.blogspot.com/2…   Looking at this picture makes me think that I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.
Did I mention that I like old movies?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin