Oh My God But This Is So Fucking Great!





So today, as is my wont, I parked behind this building and worked on my guitar homework for awhile.  I was pounding away on the guitar when a gentleman pulled in in a truck, got out and started talking to me.  He was a SeaBee, so I mentioned I was in the Corps.  I had neglected my homework as usual and was trying to keep from being thrown out of the school by my excellent but put upon teacher, Mr. Scott Plant.  Scott plays 17 instruments but is primarily a violin player.  I asked him why he was not in Austin and he said there was far too much competition, fair enough, but I doubt there are very many people that could outdo him in much of any type of music.
So me and this gentleman were talking and he is an old friend of the owner, Bob Clawson, who has  been playing country and rock since the '50s.  Then this man says, here son, I got something for you to play on.  I was all like, sure, great, another old guitar.  Then he gave me this, and it still had the price tag on it.  I mean, fucking new, unused, mint.


This is a Fender Brown Derby Resonator, aka Dobro.  To say the least I was astonished.  This is the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for me.  These things sound like a banjo-guitar cross.  They are way out of my price range, and I have never been so pumped up about learning as I am now.  Plus, I did O K in today's session.  I cannot use any names to express my gratitude as I am sworn to secrecy,   I have no idea why he chose me, he was going to donate it to the shop.  Just being a Marine does not explain it, but God almighty I was happy to get this.  Well, mum's the woid.  Few people will read this so I doubt I am breaking the deal by talking about it.  The man that gave me this played dueling banjos on my old beater guitar and it was fantastic.   I had a figurine of a porcelain geisha in the car and asked him to give it to his wife.  
I have a birthday coming up and was very hungover and depressed today.  To say the least, this made my day.  For the first time a girl asked me in a shop if I qualified for the senior discount.  On the way out I got a good gander at my face.  Crestfallen is not the word for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin