Wise Rabbit Solomon


 My distinguished colleague Andibi posted today on Zoo Funnies, a truly sorry effort from Charlton Comics.  This is the one after his, # 13, October 1947, the month and year that Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier.  Sick with jealousy, I was going through some of these and decided there was no way I could beat Andy's post, he selected the perfect comic to make his point about the depths to which anthro depravity could sink.  But - I did find this:
 

  There is no writer credited with the story.  I wouldn't have paid for this in any event, just giving a vague promise of a check someday or holding a gun on the jerk and demanding his wallet, how dare you waste my time with this garbage?  In any event let me tell you where this comes from:

The Hares were so persecuted by the other beasts, they did not know where to go. As soon as they saw a single animal approach them, off they used to run. One day they saw a troop of wild Horses stampeding about, and in quite a panic all the Hares scuttled off to a lake hard by, determined to drown themselves rather than live in such a continual state of fear. But just as they got near the bank of the lake, a troop of Frogs, frightened in their turn by the approach of the Hares scuttled off, and jumped into the water. “Truly,” said one of the Hares, “things are not so bad as they seem: “There is always someone worse off than yourself.”  

Aesop

Jesus Palomino.  You read that right, I asked for a rabbit story and this stewbum gives me a paleolithic chestnut first told by some slave a century before the battle of Marathon.  As a typical comics publisher I would be astounded that this was considered literature, then I would go to the library and steal the book, public domain is where it's at.  After that I would write all these stories myself and take full credit for them, Aesop's long dead so screw him.  Stan Lee didn't get to the top of the heap by feeding the poor and unfortunate, folks.


The Hare and the Frogs, Billy D Bunny

Engraving by a no longer with us Frenchman, appropriately enough, so I'm taking credit for the artwork here as well.  You got to look out for yourself in this world because it's for damn sure no one else is going to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin