The Road To Furry






I was fifteen when I first came across this.  I was scandalized and intrigued.  It blew my mind to see anthropomorphic animals acting like real humans, in this case a dog on the outs with society.  The depiction of God is a riot.  Anthro cute bunnies were only supposed to decorate Easter cards, not watch over the sex fantasies of a shabby, lonely, probably unemployed dog.  I had never read something more brutally honest.  And then there is this:





The Cute L'il Bearzy Wearzies

In this story, the two bears, one divorced, buy shoes, get drunk, high, rebuked by a cop, use bad language and engage in sexual activity.  I thought they lived in a world that was wonderful, partly because of how adorable they were even as they misbehaved.  The influence of this on my life cannot be easily dismissed.  One of the reason these stories caught so much of my attention is because I grew up on a diet of talking animals, particularly this guy:





I guess I got a thing for smart-ass rabbits.
 
 


Frank, by Jim Woodring.  
 
 


Mr. Woodring's art and stories are unique...
 


 
...and open to wide interpretation.




There was the celebrated Air Pirates.
 


 
A bunch of west coast artists deliberately copied Disney and got sued.  They were completely in the wrong and were lucky that Disney did not insist on the money they won over this.  Still, funny as hell and most irreverent.



 
 
 

 
 The Disney Memorial Orgy Poster, 1967.  Disney did not sue over this, figuring it was best not to bring it any more publicity than it already had.  Wally Wood, artist.
 
 

Fat Freddy's Cat, part of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers 'verse.  Gilbert Shelton.
 
 

 
 Needless to say, I went over to the dark side in record time.




Something for everyone.
 
 
Thank God I'm normal.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Angel Forms Were Seen To Glide

Where In The World Is Billy D Bunny?

Two Sides Of The Same Coin